Vol. 2 (2013), Article ID 235612, 4 pages
Analytic Dermoscopy of Superficial Basal Cell Carcinoma
Claudine Piérard-Franchimont,1,2 Jean François Hermanns,1,3 Marie Caucanas,1 Philipppe
Delvenne,4 and Gérald E. Piérard4
1Department of Dermatology, Regional Hospital of Huy, 4500 Huy, Belgium
2Laboratory of Skin Bioengineering and Imaging, Department of Dermatopathology, University Hospital of Liège, 4000 Liège, Belgium
3Department of Dermatology, Diagnostic Centre, 4800 Verviers, Belgium
4Laboratory of Skin Bioengineering and Imaging (LABIC), University of Liège, 4000 Liège, Belgium
Address correspondence to Gérald E. Piérard, email@example.com
Received 9 July 2012; Accepted 25 October 2012
Copyright © 2013 Claudine Piérard-Franchimont et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Dermoscopy is a noninvasive optical surface microscopy useful for diagnostic purposes in a number of skin conditions including basal cell carcinoma (BCC). To use analytic dermoscopy to compare the size and shape of dermoscopic structures in pigmented and nonpigmented BCCs. Image analysis using the Photoshop® software and morphometry were combined for highlighting the outlines of dermoscopic aspects in BCCs. The spoke-wheel structures were conveniently highlighted by the present method. They appeared larger in the pigmented BCC phenotype than in nonpigmented BCCs. The present method allows quantification of cauliflower-like structures (spoke-wheel and petal areas) using morphometric analysis. The procedure is applicable for identifying the therapeutic effects. The present analytical method was never used so far. It goes beyond descriptive dermoscopy and improves the accuracy of the findings. The procedure opens new horizons in quantitative objective dermoscopy.
- D. Altamura, S. W. Menzies, G. Argenziano, I. Zalaudek, H. Soyer, F. Sera, et al., Dermatoscopy of basal cell carcinoma: morphologic variability of global and local features and accuracy of diagnosis, J Am Acad Dermatol, 62 (2010), 67–75.
- R. M. Bakos, L. Bakos, A. Cartell, A. P. Manzoni, and C. Prati, Radial streaking: unusual dermoscopic pattern in pigmented superficial basal cell carcinoma, J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol, 21 (2007), 1263–1265.
- R. P. Braun, G. Kaya, I. Masouyé, J. Krischer, and J. H. Saurat, Histopathologic correlation in dermoscopy: a micropunch technique, Arch Dermatol, 139 (2003), 349–351.
- M. Carducci, M. Bozzetti, G. De Marco, A. M. Foscolo, and R. Betti, Usefulness of margin detection by digital dermoscopy in the traditional surgical excision of basal cell carcinomas of the head and neck including infiltrative/morpheaform type, J Dermatol, 39 (2012), 326–330.
- M. Caucanas, C. Piérard-Franchimont, and G. E. Piérard, Chronicle of a pigmented superficial basal cell carcinoma, Case Rep Dermatol Med, 2012 (2012), 693041.
- B. Cheng, R. Joe Stanley, W. V. Stoecker, C. T. Osterwise, S. M. Stricklin, K. A. Hinton, et al., Automatic dirt trail analysis in dermoscopy images, Skin Res Technol, 19 (2013), e20–e26.
- B. Cheng, R. J. Stanley, W. V. Stoecker, and K. Hinton, Automatic telangiectasia analysis in dermoscopy images using adaptive critic design, Skin Res Technol, 18 (2012), 389–96.
- M. Demirtasoglu, T. Ilknur, B. Lebe, E. Kusku, S. Akarsu, and S. Ozkan, Evaluation of dermoscopic and histopathologic features and their correlations in pigmented basal cell carcinomas, J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol, 20 (2006), 916–920.
- S. Felder, H. Rabinovitz, M. Oliviero, and A. Kopf, Dermoscopic pattern of pigmented basal cell carcinoma, blue-white variant, Dermatol Surg, 32 (2006), 569–570.
- C. Franchimont, G. E. Pierard, D. Van Cauwenberge, M. Damseaux, and C. H. Lapiere, Episodic progression and regression of basal cell carcinomas, Br J Dermatol, 106 (1982), 305–310.
- J. Giacomel and I. Zalaudek, Dermoscopy of superficial basal cell carcinoma, Dermatol Surg, 31 (2005), 1710–1713.
- A. Gulia, D. Altamura, S. De Trane, T. Micantonio, M. C. Fargnoli, and K. Peris, Pigmented reticular structures in basal cell carcinoma and collision tumours, Br J Dermatol, 162 (2010), 442–444.
- A. Hirofuji, K. Takiguchi, K. Nakamura, A. Kuramochi, T. Tsuchida, and E. Arai, Superficial type of multiple basal cell carcinomas: detailed comparative study of its dermoscopic and histopathological findings, J Skin Cancer, 2011 (2011), 385465.
- D. Hirokawa and J. B. Lee, Dermatoscopy: an overview of subsurface morphology, Clin Dermatol, 29 (2011), 557–565.
- T. N. Liebman, A. Scope, H. Rabinovitz, R. P. Braun, and A. A. Marghoob, Rosettes may be observed in a range of conditions, Arch Dermatol, 147 (2011), 1468.
- D. Massi, V. De Giorgi, and H. P. Soyer, Histopathologic correlates of dermoscopic criteria, Dermatol Clin, 19 (2001), 259–268.
- S. W. Menzies, Dermoscopy of pigmented basal cell carcinoma, Clin Dermatol, 20 (2002), 268–269.
- S. W. Menzies, K. Westerhoff, H. Rabinovitz, A. W. Kopf, W. H. McCarthy, and B. Katz, Surface microscopy of pigmented basal cell carcinoma, Arch Dermatol, 136 (2000), 1012–1016.
- C. Piérard-Franchimont, V. Goffin, and G. E. Piérard, Dermoscopy: magnified imaging of pigmented cutaneous tumors, Rev Med Liege, 53 (1998), 180–186. (French)
- C. Piérard-Franchimont and G. E. Piérard, Unusual dermoscopic presentations of pigmented basal cell carcinomas, in Proceedings of the 17th EADV, Paris, France, 2008.
- C. Rosendahl, P. Tschandl, A. Cameron, and H. Kittler, Diagnostic accuracy of dermatoscopy for melanocytic and nonmelanocytic pigmented lesions, J Am Acad Dermatol, 64 (2011), 1068–1073.
- L. Rossiello, I. Zalaudek, H. Cabo, G. Ferrara, G. Casas, and G. Argenziano, Dermoscopic-pathologic correlation in an unusual case of pigmented basal cell carcinoma, Dermatol Surg, 32 (2006), 1509–1512.
- J. Sanchez-Martin, F. Vazquez-Lopez, N. Perez-Oliva, and G. Argenziano, Dermoscopy of small basal cell carcinoma: study of 100 lesions 5 mm or less in diameter, Dermatol Surg, 38 (2012), 947–950.
- M. Scalvenzi, S. Lembo, M. G. Francia, and A. Balato, Dermoscopic patterns of superficial basal cell carcinoma, Int J Dermatol, 47 (2008), 1015–1018.
- H. P. Soyer, R. O. Kenet, I. H. Wolf, B. J. Kenet, and L. Cerroni, Clinicopathological correlation of pigmented skin lesions using dermoscopy, Eur J Dermatol, 10 (2000), 22–28.
- D. Tabanlioǧlu Onan, S. Sahin, O. Gököz, G. Erkin, B. Cakir, G. Elçin, et al., Correlation between the dermatoscopic and histopathological features of pigmented basal cell carcinoma, J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol, 24 (2010), 1317–1325.
- I. Zalaudek, G. Argenziano, A. A. Marghoob, G. Pellacani, and H. P. Soyer, Dermoscopy and skin cancer, Dermatol Res Pract, 2010 (2010), 867059.
Claudine Piérard-Franchimont, Jean François Hermanns, Marie Caucanas, Philipppe Delvenne, and Gérald E. Piérard, Analytic Dermoscopy of Superficial Basal Cell Carcinoma, Journal of Case Reports in Medicine, 2 (2013), art235612. doi:10.4303/jcrm/235612